Sunday, April 25, 2010

2010 Boston Marathon Race Report Part 3: More opinion

OK. Well I'm not quite ready to discuss the race specifics.

Garmin: I run with a 305 with HRM. I don't use heart rate during the race but I like to have it. I also ran with a foot pod for cadence. I also downloaded another guys 2:59:51 Boston Marathon course. When I go for a run I have auto lap set for every mile. From now on I will consider turning it off. I have consistently found that after 26.2 miles my Garmin will say 26.4 and underestimate my pace by about 4 seconds a mile. This time around I tried to factor it in, but I think it just might be easier to hit the lap button every mile.

Strategy: This course has been raced 114 times. I hope someday it will be your turn. Although the race officially starts in Hopkinton the real race begins with the right turn at the Newton Firehouse, around 17 miles. The trick is to get through these hills and be able to take advantage of the net downhill to the finish. This won't happen if you went out too fast. Additionally I would add that the most damaging running is downhill running. The eccentric muscle contractions, fibers contracting as they lengthen, is what causes the problems. So there is a dilemma. Do you slow down on the downhills or let it go and take advantage of the free speed? I think the answer is neither. Run as effort free as possible. Just relax and stride downhill. On the early uphills just stay in damage control mode. This is really difficult. You trained all winter. the gun goes off and you just want to race. I told myself over and over wait until mile 21 then if you still feel like racing, race. For most people this is good advise.

Goal setting: I suggest you make a written race plan. Outline everything in detail. Plan, plan and plan. When it comes to goals. I suggest you come up with several. There are so many things that can go right and wrong. If you have only a specific time goal you really set yourself up for disappointment. For example if it is a hot day forget a PR, because it is not going to happen in Boston even if the weather is good! So pick a few more goals. Try to beat your seeding (race number minus 1000). Try to requalify. Man, but most of all enjoy the gift God gave you. If you've run a well paced marathon this race if run well will really reward you.

Aid stations: This is a big deal. I guess there are 24 stations, every mile starting at mile 2. The tendency at the first few is for everyone to swamp the right side of the road. My advise is for you to start on the left of the corral and run straight on past the aid station. Because, here is the thing, there is always an aid station on the right and the left. So if you miss one side don't slow down or run any farther. It's just ahead, Gatorade then water.

The Crowd: There are half a million people there rooting you on and it is unlike anything I've ever done. However they do get in the way of running the tangents. So resist the urge to high five every kid. Others have said that their arms start to get a little heavy after a few hours of this. I do recommend cooling off or rinsing off the sticky gel and Gatorade with the water they offer. It's probably safe to drink, but don't chance it. I will say that it makes those little kids day when you take whatever it is they offer. You are a celebrity for a day.

Family: We thought we had it planned. I told Lori I would finish at about about 1 pm. So she went to the grandstand as we discussed and they wouldn't let her in without a ticket. So she had to circle around to the other side of the street, the North side. To do this she had to circle the whole finish area. I bet they walked 4 or 5 miles total. After I finished and waited for them I finally borrowed a phone and found them, so she could give me my phone. Incidentally I saw a broken/stomped/obliterated phone that had been dropped at an aid station. I would guess that carrying a phone will add about 25 seconds to your time as well. I would suggest that you let your family fend for themselves and that way you can get warm clothes on, get a massage, eat, drink and meet them in your hotel lobby, where you can call them. Or borrow a phone!

Finish photo: Do not hit the watch! Look up as you cross the finish line. Take your time. Smile and raise your arms. It gets the photographers attention.

No comments: